Cinnamon and Sugar Slices
- In a large mixing bowl beat shortening and margarine or butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed about 30 seconds or until softened.
- Add about half of the flour to the shortening mixture. Then add the 1/2 cup granulated sugar or brown sugar, egg or egg white, milk, vanilla, baking soda, and salt. Beat until thoroughly combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat or stir in the remaining flour.
- Shape dough into two 4-inch rolls. Wrap the rolls in waxed paper or plastic wrap. Chill for 4 to 24 hours or until dough is firm enough to slice.
- To bake, cut each roll of dough into 12 to 16 slices. Place slices on an ungreased cookie sheet. Stir together the 1 tablespoon sugar and cinnamon or nutmeg. Sprinkle over cookies.
- Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are firm and the bottoms are lightly browned. Remove cookies and cool on a wire rack. Makes 24 to 32 cookies.
From the Test Kitchen
Pack em for a picnic along with sandwiches, your favorite snack chips, and fresh fruit.
Cover and freeze 4-inch dough rolls for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
Nutrition Facts (Cinnamon and Sugar Slices)
- Per serving:
- 86 kcal ,
- 4 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 9 mg chol. ,
- 45 mg sodium ,
- 11 g carb. ,
- 1 g pro.