Christmas Tree Butter Cookies
- In an extra large bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add powdered sugar and salt. Beat until well combined, scraping bowl occasionally. Beat in vanilla. Beat in flour with the mixer, continuing to beat until dough comes together. Wrap and chill dough about 1 hour or until easy to handle.*
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Divide dough in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll one portion of dough to 1/4-inch thickness. Use a 4- to 6-inch tree-shape cookie cutter to cut out shapes. Repeat with remaining portion of dough, rerolling dough as needed.
- Arrange cookies 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake in the preheated oven for 12 to 14 minutes or until edges are very lightly browned. Cool on cookie sheets for 1 minute. Transfer to wire racks; cool.
- Spoon icing into a small resealable plastic bag. Seal bag; snip off a small corner of the bag. Pipe a border around tree edge. Squeeze enough icing in the middle of cookie to cover rest of cookie. Spread icing with a toothpick or small paintbush. Decorate as desired. Let stand until icing is dry. Makes about sixteen 6-inch cookies or twenty-eight 4-inch cookies.
From the Test Kitchen
Dough will firm quickly the longer it chills. If dough is too firm to roll, let it stand at room temperature for 10 to 60 minutes or until easy to roll.
Store dried iced cookies between layers of waxed paper in an airtight container at room temperature up to 3 days or freeze up to 3 months.
Powdered Sugar Icing
- In a large bowl, stir together powdered sugar, vanilla, and enough milk to make an icing that will just hold a line when piped. Tint icing green. Makes about 1 cup.
Nutrition Facts (Christmas Tree Butter Cookies)
- Per serving:
- 380 kcal ,
- 18 g fat
- (11 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 5 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 46 mg chol. ,
- 162 mg sodium ,
- 54 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 35 g sugar ,
- 1 g pro.