- Divide Basic Pattern Dough into thirds. Stir melted bittersweet chocolate into one dough portion. Stir pistachios and several drops of green food coloring into another dough portion. Leave remaining dough portion plain.
- Divide each dough portion into fourths. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into a 1/2-inch-thick rope about 8 inches long. Place a chocolate, plain, and pistachio rope side by side; twist together. Repeat with remaining ropes. Cover and chill the four twisted ropes for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Cut ropes into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Carefully roll slices into balls, blending colors as little as possible. Place balls about 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Using a glass dipped in sugar, flatten each ball to 1/4 inch thick.
- Bake in preheated oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Transfer cookies to a wire rack and let cool. Makes about 4 dozen cookies.
From the Test Kitchen
Place cookies in layers separated by waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Basic Pattern Dough
- Beat butter for 30 seconds. Beat in sugar, baking powder and a salt. Beat in egg and vanilla. Beat in as much of the all-purpose flour as you can with a mixer. Stir in remaining flour. Makes about 2-1/2 cups of dough.