- Lightly grease a cookie sheet; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat butter and the 1/4 cup shortening with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add brown sugar, milk, vanilla, and salt. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour. Stir in chocolate pieces. If necessary, cover and chill dough for 30 minutes or until it is easy to handle.
- Meanwhile, for filling, in a small saucepan combine 3/4 cup of the white baking pieces and the sweetened condensed milk. Cook and stir over low heat until baking pieces melt. Remove from heat; cool slightly. Stir in mint extract and 2 or 3 drops of red or green food coloring.
- Divide dough in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll one portion of dough into a 12x6-inch rectangle. Spread half of the filling lengthwise over half of the dough to within 1/2 inch of edges. Carefully fold dough rectangle in half to cover the filling; seal all edges. Repeat with remaining dough and filling. Transfer filled dough rectangles to prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake in a 350 degrees F oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool on cookie sheet on a wire rack. Transfer to a cutting board. Cut crosswise into 3/4-inch-wide strips.
- In a heavy small saucepan combine the remaining 1/2 cup white baking pieces and 2 teaspoons shortening; heat over low heat until melted, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. If desired, stir in a few drops of red or green food coloring. Drizzle over cookie strips. Makes about 30 cookies.
From the Test Kitchen
Transfer the remaining sweetened condensed milk to a covered storage container and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Nutrition Facts (Chocolate-Mint Sticks)
- Per serving:
- 142 kcal ,
- 8 g fat
- (8 g sat. fat ,
- 12 mg chol. ,
- 61 mg sodium ,
- 15 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 2 g pro.