Chocolate-Dipped Butterscotch Logs
- In a large bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add brown sugar, baking powder, and salt. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in egg and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour and the butterscotch pieces with a wooden spoon.
- Divide dough in half. Shape each half into a 9-inch-long log; flatten so logs are about 2-1/2 inches wide. Wrap logs in plastic wrap or parchment paper. Chill 2 hours or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Using a sharp knife, cut logs crosswise into 1/4-inch slices. Place slices 1 inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake in preheated oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool.
- Meanwhile, spread almonds in a single layer in a shallow baking pan. Toast in the 350 degree F oven for 5 to 10 minutes or until light golden brown, stirring occasionally. Remove from oven; cool.
- Combine chocolate pieces and shortening in a small saucepan. Cook and stir over low heat until melted. Dip ends of cookies into melted chocolate. Place cookies on parchment or waxed paper. Sprinkle almonds on chocolate. Let stand about 30 minutes or until chocolate is set. Makes about 54.
From the Test Kitchen
Place cookies in layers separated by waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature up to 3 days or freeeze undipped cookies up to 3 months. Thaw cookies; dip cookies in melted chocolate and sprinkle with almonds.
Nutrition Facts (Chocolate-Dipped Butterscotch Logs)
- Per serving:
- 115 kcal ,
- 7 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 13 mg chol. ,
- 52 mg sodium ,
- 13 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 1 g pro.