Recipes and Cooking Cheddar-Jelly Thumbprints 4.0 (1) Add your rating & review These savory appetizer cookies have a cheese dough that is baked and then filled with jalapeno jelly. By BHG Test Kitchen BHG Test Kitchen The Better Homes & Gardens Test Kitchen has been in continuous operation for nearly 100 years, developing and testing practical, reliable recipes that readers can enjoy at home. The Test Kitchen team includes culinary specialists, food stylists, registered and licensed nutritionists, and other experts with Bachelor of Science degrees in food science, food and nutrition, or culinary arts. Together, the team tests more than 2,500 recipes, produces more than 2,500 food images, and creates more than 1,000 food videos each year in the state-of-the-art test kitchen. Learn about BHG's Editorial Process Published on November 1, 2005 Print Rate It Share Share Tweet Pin Email Prep Time: 30 mins Bake Time: 15 hrs Total Time: 15 hrs 30 mins Yield: 42 appetizers Jump to Nutrition Facts Ingredients 6 ounce white cheddar cheese or extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded ½ cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese (2 oz.) ½ cup butter, softened 1 egg yolk 1 cup all-purpose flour 1 egg white 1 tablespoon water 1 ¼ cup finely chopped pecans ⅓ - ½ cup green and/or red jalapeno jelly Directions Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 large cookie sheets with parchment paper or lightly grease; set aside. In food processor combine cheeses and butter. Cover; process until well combined. Add egg yolk and 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper; cover and process until combined. Add flour; pulse several times until a soft dough forms; set aside. (Or in bowl beat butter with electric mixer for 30 seconds; beat in cheeses until well combined. Beat in yolk and pepper until combined. Add flour; beat until soft dough forms.) In a small bowl combine egg white and water. Place pecans in a shallow dish. Shape dough into 3/4-inch balls. Roll balls in egg white mixture, then in pecans. Place 1 inch apart on prepared cookie sheets. Press your thumb into center of each ball, reshaping as necessary. Bake about 15 minutes or until edges are firm and cookies are lightly golden. Press puffed centers down using the rounded side of a measuring teaspoon. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool. Just before serving, place a small amount of jelly in the center of each thumbprint. Store unfilled in refrigerator up to 3 days or in freezer up to 3 months. Thaw if frozen. Fill before serving. Makes about 42 appetizers cookies. Tips Place in covered storage containers with waxed paper between layers in the refrigerator up to 3 days or in the freezer up to 3 months. Thaw before filling. Rate it Print Nutrition Facts (per serving) 81 Calories 6g Fat 4g Carbs 2g Protein Show Full Nutrition Label Hide Full Nutrition Label Nutrition Facts Calories 81 % Daily Value * Total Fat 6g 8% Saturated Fat 2g 10% Cholesterol 16mg 5% Sodium 60mg 3% Total Carbohydrate 4g 1% Total Sugars 1g Protein 2g Calcium 50.5mg 4% Iron 0.2mg 1% Potassium 25mg 1% Folate, total 8.1mcg Vitamin B-12 0.1mcg *The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.