Recipes and Cooking Caramel Apple Cookies 3.6 (14) 3 Reviews No one outgrows a love of gooey caramel apples. Bake the same apple flavor into chewy cookies and top with finger-licking-good caramel icing. By BHG Test Kitchen BHG Test Kitchen The Better Homes & Gardens Test Kitchen has been in continuous operation for nearly 100 years, developing and testing practical, reliable recipes that readers can enjoy at home. The Test Kitchen team includes culinary specialists, food stylists, registered and licensed nutritionists, and other experts with Bachelor of Science degrees in food science, food and nutrition, or culinary arts. Together, the team tests more than 2,500 recipes, produces more than 2,500 food images, and creates more than 1,000 food videos each year in the state-of-the-art test kitchen. Learn about BHG's Editorial Process Published on June 14, 2011 Print Rate It Share Share Tweet Pin Email Photo: Blaine Moats Prep Time: 40 mins Bake Time: 8 mins Total Time: 48 mins Servings: 72 Jump to Nutrition Facts Ingredients ½ cup shortening 1 ¼ cup packed brown sugar 1 egg ½ cup apple juice 2 ¼ cup whole wheat pastry flour or all-purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking soda 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon ¼ teaspoon ground cloves ¼ teaspoon salt 1 medium tart apple, peeled, cored, and coarsely shredded (1 cup) ¾ cup golden raisins 2 tablespoon margarine ⅓ cup packed light brown sugar 2 tablespoon water 1 ¾ cup sifted powdered sugar Fat-free milk ¼ cup finely chopped walnuts Directions Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Beat shortening and the 1 1/4 cups brown sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed until combined. Add egg; beat 1 minute. Add apple juice; beat at low speed until blended. Stir together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt. Add to egg mixture, beating at low speed until combined. Fold in apple and raisins. Drop dough by slightly rounded teaspoonfuls 1-1/2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake in preheated oven for 8 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Let stand 1 minute on cookie sheet. Remove to wire racks and cool. Heat margarine, 1/3 cup brown sugar, and water over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat. Stir in sifted powdered sugar. If frosting begins to harden, stir in small amount of fat-free milk to make of spreading consistency. Spread cookies with Caramel Frosting and sprinkle with walnuts. Makes about 72. Make-Ahead Tip: Freeze unfrosted cookies up to 3 months. Rate it Print Nutrition Facts (per serving) 63 Calories 2g Fat 11g Carbs 1g Protein Show Full Nutrition Label Hide Full Nutrition Label Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe 72 Calories 63 % Daily Value * Total Fat 2g 3% Sodium 32mg 1% Total Carbohydrate 11g 4% Protein 1g Calcium 10.1mg 1% *The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.