Black and White Twists
- In a large bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add powdered sugar and salt; beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in egg and vanilla until combined. Beat or stir in flour.
- Divide dough in half. Add the melted chocolate and milk to half of the dough.* Using your hands, knead dough until well combined.
- On a lightly floured surface, shape each dough half into a 12-inch-long log. Cut each log into 12 equal pieces.
- Roll each dough piece into a 12-inch-long rope about 1/2 inch thick. Place a chocolate rope and a vanilla rope side by side; gently twist together 8 to 10 times. Press lightly to seal ends and transfer to a cookie sheet. Repeat with remaining dough. Cover and chill for 2 to 24 hours or until firm.
- Lightly grease a cookie sheet; set aside.
- Cut each twisted log into 2-1/2-inch-long pieces. Dip one end of each piece into beaten egg white, then into the chopped nuts. Place cookies about 2 inches apart on the prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until vanilla dough is lightly golden. Transfer cookies to a wire rack; cool. Makes 48 cookies.
From the Test Kitchen
If desired, add several drops of food coloring to the vanilla dough half.
Nutrition Facts (Black and White Twists)
- Per serving:
- 131 kcal ,
- 8 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat ,
- 20 mg chol. ,
- 26 mg sodium ,
- 14 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 2 g pro.