Cookie-in-the-Middle Baby Cakes
- Let sugar cookie dough stand at room temperature for 20 minutes. Place 1/2 cup sugar cookie dough in a bowl; chill remaining dough to use for Cookie Babies. Add 2 tablespoons flour and desired amount food coloring to dough in bowl. Knead dough until flour and food coloring are incorporated. If dough is sticky, knead in additional 1 tablespoon flour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line twenty-four 2 1/2-inch muffin cups with paper bake cups. Prepare desired cupcake batter as directed, except beat 1/2 teaspoon almond extract in with the liquid in the recipe or cake mix. Place 1 teaspoon cupcake batter in the bottom of each muffin cup. Roll 1 teaspoon portions tinted sugar cookie dough into balls. Place each ball over batter in the muffin cups. Spoon remaining cupcake batter over cookie dough balls, filling each about half full. Bake cupcakes 18 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centers comes out clean. Transfer cupcakes to wire racks to cool completely.
- To decorate, fill a pastry bag fitted with a large star or round tip with Sour Cream Frosting. Pipe a large swirl of frosting on each cupcake. If desired, press a Cookie Baby into frosting to stand upright. Store cupcakes loosely covered in refrigerator.
Sour Cream Frosting
- Allow butter to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Beat in sour cream and vanilla. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating well. Beat in enough of the milk to make frosting piping consistency.
- Break remaining sugar cookie dough into small chunks into a bowl. Using hands, knead about 1/2 cup all-purpose flour into cookie dough until evenly distributed. Tint dough desired color. Divide dough in half; wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Chill about 30 minutes or until easy to handle. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper. On a lightly floured surface, roll one half until 1/8-inch thick. Cut dough using a 1 1/2-inch round cookie cutter. Place cookies 1 inch apart on prepared cookie sheet. Repeat with remaining dough. Bake for 7 to 10 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Carefully slide parchment paper with cookies onto a wire rack. Cool completely. Pipe yellow-tinted canned white frosting for hats and pacifiers on each cookie. Add small round yellow candies for pompoms on the hats and fruit-flavored round whole grain cereal (Fruity Cheerios®) for pacifier handles. Use black decorating icing with a small round tip to pipe eyes and noses. Use to decorate cupcakes; serve any remaining cookies on the side.
Nutrition Facts (Cookie-in-the-Middle Baby Cakes)
- Per serving:
- 402 kcal ,
- 14 g fat
- (8 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 4 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 55 mg chol. ,
- 215 mg sodium ,
- 68 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 55 g sugar ,
- 3 g pro.