Columbian Skirt Steak with Mango Barbecue Sauce
- For sauce, in a medium saucepan heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over medium heat. Add onion, serrano peppers, and garlic; cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until onion is tender, stirring frequently. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon of the cumin; cook and stir about 30 seconds or until fragrant. Stir in molasses and tomato paste; cook about 2 minutes or until mixture begins to stick to bottom of pan. Stir in vinegar and the water, scraping up brown bits from bottom of pan. Simmer, partially covered, about 10 minutes or until mixture is slightly thickened. Set aside.
- In a small bowl stir together the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon cumin, and the paprika; season generously with salt and black pepper. Rub spice mixture all over steak.
- For a charcoal or gas grill, grease grill rack. Place steak and mangoes on the rack of a covered grill directly over medium-high heat. Grill for 4 to 6 minutes or until steak is slightly pink in center and mangoes are slightly charred, turning once. Transfer steak to a serving platter. Cover steak; let stand for 5 minutes.
- Cut half of the mangoes into chunks; transfer to a blender. Add sauce; cover and blend until smooth. Slice steak. Drizzle steak with sauce; sprinkle with cilantro. Serve with the remaining grilled mango and hot cooked rice.
From the Test Kitchen
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
Nutrition Facts (Columbian Skirt Steak with Mango Barbecue Sauce)
- Per serving:
- 685 kcal ,
- 33 g fat
- (10 g sat. fat ,
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 18 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 102 mg chol. ,
- 187 mg sodium ,
- 58 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 27 g sugar ,
- 38 g pro.