Coffee-Raspberry Zabaglione Semifreddo
- For raspberry sorbet, in a medium saucepan combine sugar and the water; heat and stir over medium heat just until simmering, stirring to dissolve sugar. Remove from heat; stir in lemon juice. Transfer to a medium bowl; cover and chill completely.
- Place raspberries and orange juice in a food processor. Cover and process until smooth. Press mixture through a fine-mesh sieve; discard seeds. Stir raspberry puree into chilled lemon juice mixture.
- Pour raspberry mixture into a 2-quart square baking dish. Cover; freeze about 4 hours or until firm. Break up mixture with a fork; place in a food processor, half at a time if necessary. Cover and process for 30 to 60 seconds or until smooth. Spoon back into the same dish. Cover and freeze for 6 to 8 hours or until firm.
- For zabaglione fillings, divide Classic Zabaglione in half; chill one half until needed in Step 7. In a small bowl beat 1/2 cup of the whipping cream with an electric mixer on medium to high speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Fold whipped cream into the remaining half of the Classic Zabaglione until combined. Fold in espresso powder (powder will not totally dissolve)
- Line a 9-inch springform pan with waxed paper or plastic wrap; sprinkle evenly with 1/3 cup of the crushed amaretti. Spoon the coffee-zabaglione mixture into the prepared pan, evenly smoothing the top. Sprinkle with another 1/3 cup of the amaretti. Cover and freeze for 1 hour.
- Using a spoon, break up raspberry sorbet and place in food processor, half at a time if necessary. Cover and process until smooth. Spoon sorbet over the coffee-zabaglione layer, evenly smoothing the top. Sprinkle with another 1/3 cup of the amaretti. Cover and freeze for 1 hour.
- In a small bowl beat the remaining 1/2 cup whipping cream until soft peaks form (tips curl); fold into the chilled reserved zabaglione. Spoon over the raspberry sorbet layer, evenly smoothing the top. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/3 cup amaretti. If desired, sprinkle with chocolate pieces. Cover and freeze for 24 hours.
- Remove sides of pan; carefully remove waxed paper or plastic wrap. Place semifreddo on a chilled serving platter. Let stand at room temperature for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
- In a large bowl combine egg yolks and sugar. Beat with an electric mixer on medium to high speed until the mixture is thick and lemon-color and the sugar is dissolved. Beat in Marsala, salt, and, if desired, nutmeg.
- Transfer mixture to the top of a double boiler. Place over gently boiling water (upper pan should not touch water). Cook, beating constantly with the electric mixer on medium speed, about 13 minutes or until mixture is thick and triple in volume, and an instant-read thermometer inserted in center of mixture registers 145 degrees F and holds that temperature for 3-1/2 minutes (or, alternatively, until thermometer registers 165 degrees F). Stir in vanilla. Serve immediately or chill completely before serving.
From the Test Kitchen
Serve with fresh fruit. Use as a filling or topping for cake or pastries. Serve with sorbet. Fold in whipped cream and serve as a mousse or freeze for a semifreddo.
Nutrition Facts (Coffee-Raspberry Zabaglione Semifreddo )
- Per serving:
- 211 kcal ,
- 8 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 2 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 90 mg chol. ,
- 31 mg sodium ,
- 30 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 25 g sugar ,
- 2 g pro.