Fruit Coffee Cake
- For filling, in a medium saucepan combine fruit and water. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer,* covered, about 5 minutes or until fruit is tender. Combine the 1/4 cup sugar and cornstarch; stir into fruit. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 2 minutes more; set filling aside.
- In a medium bowl combine the 1-1/2 cups flour, the 3/4 cup sugar, baking powder, and baking soda. Cut in 1/4 cup butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture; set aside.
- In another bowl combine egg, buttermilk, and vanilla. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Using a wooden spoon, stir just until moistened (batter should be lumpy). Spread half of the batter into an ungreased 8x8x2-inch baking pan. Spread filling over batter. Drop remaining batter in small mounds over filling.
- In a small bowl stir together the 1/4 cup flour and 1/4 cup sugar. Cut in the 2 tablespoons butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over coffee cake. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until golden. Serve warm. Makes 9 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Do not simmer raspberries.
Rhubarb-Strawberry Coffee Cake:
Prepare as above, except substitute 3/4 cup fresh or frozen cut-up rhubarb and 3/4 cup frozen unsweetened whole strawberries for fruit. Continue as directed.
Nutrition Facts per serving: 263 cal., 9 g total fat (2 g sat. fat), 46 mg chol., 162 mg sodium, 49 g carbo., 1 g dietary fiber, 4 g pro.
Daily Values: 7% vit. A, 13% vit. C, 5% calcium, 7% iron.
Exchanges: 1 Starch, 2.5 Other Carbo., 1.5 Fat
Making Sour Milk: If you dont have buttermilk on hand when preparing baked goods, substitute sour milk in the same amount. for each cup of sour milk needed, place 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar in a glass measuring cup. Add enough milk to make 1 cup total liquid; stir. Let mixture stand for 5 minutes before using.
Nutrition Facts (Fruit Coffee Cake)
- Per serving:
- 300 kcal ,
- 9 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 3 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 46 mg chol. ,
- 162 mg sodium ,
- 52 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 27 g sugar ,
- 4 g pro.