Coffee and Smoked Paprika-Rubbed Steak with Buttermilk Dressing
- Trim fat from steak. Score both sides of steak in a diamond pattern by making shallow diagonal cuts at 1-inch intervals. In a small bowl combine brown sugar, espresso powder, paprika, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Sprinkle evenly over both sides of steak; rub in with your fingers.
- In a large saucepan bring a large amount of water to boiling. Add zucchini to boiling water; cook for 2 minutes. Drain zucchini. Thread tomatoes, mushrooms, and zucchini onto eight skewers.** Cover and chill both steak and skewers for at least 2 hours or up to 24 hours.
- Preheat broiler. Place steak on the unheated rack of a broiler pan. Broil 3 to 4 inches from heat for 17 to 21 minutes or until medium doneness (160 degrees F), turning once. Add skewers to the broiler pan for the last 7 to 8 minutes of broiling or just until vegetables are tender, turning once. Transfer steak to a cutting board. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Thinly slice steak across the grain. Serve steak with vegetables and Buttermilk Dressing.
From the Test Kitchen
If you can't find smoked paprika, use 1 teaspoon regular paprika and 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin instead.
If using wooden skewers, soak in enough water to cover for 30 minutes; drain before using.
Nutrition Facts (Coffee and Smoked Paprika-Rubbed Steak with Buttermilk Dressing)
- Per serving:
- 256 kcal ,
- 11 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 3 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 43 mg chol. ,
- 535 mg sodium ,
- 12 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 8 g sugar ,
- 27 g pro.