Coconut Spice Cookies
- In a small saucepan combine coconut milk and mulling spice. Bring just to boiling; reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, over low heat for 5 minutes. Strain mixture through a fine-mesh sieve; discard mulling spice. Remove 2 tablespoons of the spiced coconut milk; cover and chill to use in frosting. Add dates to the remaining spiced coconut milk. Cover; set aside.
- For cookie dough, in a large bowl beat shortening and butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add granulated sugar, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt; beat until combined, scraping bowl occasionally. Beat in eggs until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour and the coconut milk-date mixture. Cover; chill for 2 to 4 hours or until dough is easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Place balls 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Transfer to wire racks; cool.
- For frosting, in a small bowl stir together powdered sugar and the reserved spiced coconut milk. Add enough milk (1 to 2 teaspoons) to make a frosting of drizzling consistency. Drizzle cookies with frosting. Sprinkle with coconut.
From the Test Kitchen
A mulling spice is a blend of various whole spices that is most often used to flavor hot beverages. For use in other recipes, mulling spice must be simmered in liquid for a few minutes to release the spice flavor. Look for mulling spice in the spice or beverage sections of the supermarket. Or make your own by combining an assortment of whole spices.
To toast coconut, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spread coconut in a single layer in a shallow baking pan. Bake for 5 to 10 minutes or until coconut is slightly golden, stirring once or twice (watch carefully); cool.
Layer frosted cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days. Or layer unfrosted cookies between sheet of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Freeze for up to 3 months.
Nutrition Facts (Coconut Spice Cookies)
- Per serving:
- 93 kcal ,
- 4 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 10 mg chol. ,
- 47 mg sodium ,
- 14 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 9 g sugar ,
- 1 g pro.