- In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add the 1/2 cup powdered sugar. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in the water and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour, the pecans, and coconut. Cover and chill for 30 to 60 minutes or until dough is easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Shape dough into 1-inch balls or 2x1/2-inch logs. Place balls or logs 1 inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake about 15 minutes or until bottoms are light brown. Transfer cookies to a wire rack; cool.
- Place the 3/4 cup powdered sugar in a large plastic bag. Add cooled cookies, a few at a time, shaking gently to coat.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare as directed, except in Step 3 reduce the powdered sugar to 1/2 cup and stir in 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder. Shake cooled cookies in the powdered sugar mixture.
Nutrition analysis per serving: same as above, except 97 calories, 9 g carbohydrate
Layer cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze uncoated cookies for up to 3 months. To serve, thaw cookies, if frozen. Shake cookies in powdered sugar as directed.
Nutrition Facts (Coconut-Pecan Sandies)
- Per serving:
- 99 kcal ,
- 7 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 2 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 12 mg chol. ,
- 45 mg sodium ,
- 10 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 4 g sugar ,
- 1 g pro.