Coconut-Coffee Ice Cream with Cinnamon-Almond Crunch
- Pour coconut milk into a medium saucepan, scraping out all of the solids. Scrape seeds from vanilla bean into milk; add vanilla pod. Cook and stir over medium heat just until simmering. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand 5 minutes.
- Combine water and espresso powder; stir espresso mixture and honey into milk. Return just to simmering. Remove vanilla pod. In a medium bowl whisk egg yolks until smooth. Gradually whisk in about 2 cups of the hot milk mixture; return all to saucepan. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until mixture coats the back of a spoon (170 degrees F).
- Strain milk mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl placed in a larger bowl of ice water; stir to cool. Cover and chill 4 to 24 hours.
- Freeze chilled mixture in a 1 1/2-quart ice cream freezer according to manufacturer's directions, adding 2/3 of the Cinnamon-Almond Crunch during the last 5 minutes. Ripen 4 hours. Sprinkle each serving of ice cream with remaining crunch topping.
From the Test Kitchen
Store in the freezer up to 1 month.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. In a small saucepan combine coconut oil, honey, cinnamon and salt. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until melted and well combined. Add almonds and coconut; toss to coat. Spread mixture into an even layer in a small shallow baking pan.
- Bake for 14 minutes or until mixture is nearly dry and evenly browned, stirring twice throughout bake time. Transfer mixture to a large sheet of foil; cool completely.
Nutrition Facts (Coconut-Coffee Ice Cream with Cinnamon-Almond Crunch)
- Per serving:
- 328 kcal ,
- 27 g fat
- (19 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 4 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 138 mg chol. ,
- 124 mg sodium ,
- 16 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 11 g sugar ,
- 4 g pro.