Cochinitos de Jenibre
- In a large bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add brown sugar, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, orange peel, salt, and ground cloves. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in egg and molasses until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour. Divide dough in half. Cover and chill about 3 hours or until dough is easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease a cookie sheet or line the sheet with parchment paper; set aside. On a lightly floured surface, roll half the dough at a time to 1/4 inch thick. Cut out shapes with a lightly floured 4- to 5-inch pig-shape cookie cutter. Place cutouts 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheet.*
- Bake in the preheated oven for 7 to 8 minutes or until edges are light brown. Cool on cookie sheet for 1 minute. Transfer to a wire rack; cool completely.
- To decorate, if desired, spoon canned vanilla frosting into a decorating bag fitted with a small round tip. (Or fill a heavy resealable plastic bag with frosting; snip a small hole in one corner of the bag.) To outline each cookie, pipe a border around the edge. For the pig's eye, pipe a small dot of frosting onto cookie. Add a white nonpareil or small decorative candy.
From the Test Kitchen
To easily transfer cutouts from the floured surface to the cookie sheet, use a thin, wide, and flexible metal spatula.
Layer undecorated cookies between layers of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months. To serve, thaw cookies, if frozen. If desired, decorate cookies as directed in Step 4.
Nutrition Facts (Cochinitos de Jenibre)
- Per serving:
- 205 kcal ,
- 7 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 2 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 30 mg chol. ,
- 193 mg sodium ,
- 33 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 15 g sugar ,
- 3 g pro.