Classic Fruitcake Loaves
- In a large bowl combine apricots, lemon rind, dates, raisins, and crystalized ginger. Add 1/4 cup of the orange juice and 1/4 cup of the rum; toss to combine. Cover bowl tightly and refrigerate overnight. Combine 1/4 cup orange juice and remaining 1/4 cup rum; cover and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line two 8x4x2-inch, or three 7 1/2x3 1/2x2, or six 4 1/2x2 1/2x1 1/2-inch loaf pans with parchment paper*. Lightly coat with cooking spray; set pans aside. In a medium bowl stir together the flour, cinnamon, salt, baking powder, allspice, and cloves; set aside.
- In a very large mixing bowl beat butter and almond paste with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add brown sugar. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in molasses and remaining 1/4 cup of orange juice on low speed. Stir in nuts. Drain dried fruit mixture well; add liquid to reserved orange juice and rum. Stir fruit and flour mixture into batter. Spoon batter evenly into prepared pans. Knock bottoms of pans sharply on the work surface to eliminate air pockets.
- Bake for 45 minutes to 65 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the centers comes out clean. Cool in pans on a wire rack for 20 minutes. Remove loaves from pans; cool completely on rack.
- Brush cooled loaves with some of the reserved rum mixture. Wrap loaves tightly with plastic wrap. Refrigerate loaves for 7 days, brushing each with the remaining rum mixture each day.
From the Test Kitchen
For the nicest sides on your fruitcake, cut the parchment paper into strips that are the same size as the size of the pan used.
Nutrition Facts (Classic Fruitcake Loaves)
- Per serving:
- 238 kcal ,
- 9 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 4 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 37 mg chol. ,
- 99 mg sodium ,
- 37 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 24 g sugar ,
- 3 g pro.