Classic Chicken Pot Pie
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a large saucepan combine chicken, mixed vegetables, soup, onions, half-and-half, poultry seasoning, garlic salt, and cayenne pepper. Bring to boiling over medium-high heat, stirring frequently. Stir in cream cheese until melted. Cover chicken mixture and keep warm.
- Prepare Pastry for Double-Crust Pie. On a lightly floured surface, use your hands to slightly flatten pastry. Roll pastry from center to edges into a 14x10-inch rectangle. If desired, use a 1-inch fluted round cookie cutter to make cutouts in pastry; reserve cutouts. Transfer hot chicken mixture to an ungreased 3-quart rectangular baking dish. Wrap pastry rectangle around the rolling pin. Unroll pastry on top of chicken mixture. Fold under extra pastry even with the edges of baking dish. Using a fork, press pastry along edges of dish to seal. In a small bowl combine egg and the water. Brush top of pastry lightly with egg mixture. If desired, arrange the reserved cutouts on pastry; brush lightly with egg mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, for 35 to 40 minutes or until filling is bubbly and pastry is golden.
From the Test Kitchen
Chop any large vegetable pieces into a uniform size.
For a lighter recipe, use reduced-fat versions of the soup, cream cheese, and milk.
Pastry for a Double-Crust Pie
- In a large bowl stir together flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening and butter until pieces are pea size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the ice water over part of the flour mixture; toss gently with a fork. Push moistened pastry to the side of the bowl. Repeat moistening flour mixture, using 1 tablespoon of the ice water at a time, until all of the flour mixture is moistened. Gather flour mixture into a ball, kneading gently until it holds together. Divide pastry in half; form halves into balls.
Nutrition Facts (Classic Chicken Pot Pie)
- Per serving:
- 728 kcal ,
- 41 g fat
- (16 g sat. fat ,
- 11 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 10 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 146 mg chol. ,
- 925 mg sodium ,
- 57 g carb. ,
- 5 g fiber ,
- 2 g sugar ,
- 32 g pro.
leeclarke117gm 514 Days Ago
It was easy and came out very delicious. I will make this again
Leanne Clarke 636 Days Ago
I made this for my family and it was delicious. I used pre made pie crust but I plan to make this recipe again and make my own pie crust.It was easy to make as well.