Classic Buttermilk Pancakes
- Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl. (This ensures equal distribution of the leaveners: baking powder and soda.) In another bowl combine egg, buttermilk, and oil.
- Add the egg mixture all at once to the flour mixture. Stir just until moistened; the batter should be slightly lumpy. Warning: Overmixing results in tough pancakes.
- Pour 1/4 cup batter onto a hot, lightly greased griddle. Cook over medium heat 1 to 2 minutes each side or until golden brown. Flip when top is bubbly and edges look slightly dry.
From the Test Kitchen
Stir in a handful of Cap'n Crunch cereal. Top with melted peanut butter, banana slices, and more cereal.
Buckwheat with Fig and Prosciutto:
Swap buckwheat flour for 1/2 cup of the 13/4 cup flour. Stir in 2 tsp. chopped fresh sage. Top with figs, prosciutto, and balsamic glaze.
Chocolate & Vanilla:
Stir in 1 tsp. vanilla bean paste and 1/2 cup chopped dark chocolate. Top with whipped cream and chopped chocolate.
Lemon-Ricotta with Roasted Strawberries:
Swap 1/4 cup ricotta cheese for 1/4 cup of the buttermilk. Stir in 1 Tbsp. lemon zest. Top with roasted strawberries.
Cornmeal with Blueberries & Feta:
Swap 1/2 cup cornmeal for 1/2 cup of the flour. Stir in 1/2 cup fresh corn kernels. Top with blueberries, crumbled feta, more corn, and honey.
Swap packed brown sugar for granulated. Stir in 1/4 tsp. cinnamon. Top with sauteed pears and maple syrup.
Place 11/2 Tbsp. lemon juice in a glass measuring cup and add enough milk to total 11/2 cups. Let stand 5 minutes before using.
Layer cooked pancakes between waxed paper in a freezer bag. freeze up to 3 months. to reheat, place a pancake between paper towels; microwave 45 to 60 seconds, flipping once.
Nutrition Facts (Classic Buttermilk Pancakes)
- Per serving:
- 184 kcal ,
- 5 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 21 mg chol. ,
- 265 mg sodium ,
- 30 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 12 g sugar ,
- 4 g pro.