- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. To caramelize sugar, in a medium heavy skillet cook the 1/2 cup sugar over medium-high heat until sugar starts to melt, shaking skillet occasionally. Do not stir; shake the skillet occasionally. Once sugar starts to melt, reduce heat to low. Cook until sugar is syrupy and golden, stirring as needed with a wooden spoon. Immediately divide caramelized sugar among four 6-ounce custard cups; quickly tilt dishes to coat bottoms.
- In a medium bowl combine eggs, pumpkin, evaporated milk, the 1/4 cup sugar, the pumpkin pie spice, orange peel, and vanilla. Place custard cups in a 2-quart square baking dish. Divide pumpkin mixture among custard cups.
- Place baking dish on an oven rack. Pour boiling water into baking dish around custard cups to a depth of 1 inch. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until a knife inserted near centers comes out clean.
- Remove custard cups from water. Cool completely on a wire rack. Cover and chill for 4 to 24 hours.
- Using a knife, loosen flans from sides of dishes and invert onto four dessert plates. Spoon any caramelized sugar remaining in custard cups onto flans. If desired, garnish with pomegranate seeds.
From the Test Kitchen
To make your own pumpkin pie spice, in a small bowl stir together 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger, 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg, and 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice.
Nutrition Facts (Citrus-Pumpkin Flans)
- Per serving:
- 317 kcal ,
- 8 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 174 mg chol. ,
- 100 mg sodium ,
- 55 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 8 g pro.