Cinnamon Streusel Fresh Apple Bars
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 13x9x2-inch baking pan with foil, extending foil over the edges of the pan. Coat foil with cooking spray; set pan aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the granulated sugar, the 1 1/4 cups white whole wheat flour, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, the baking soda, and salt. In another medium bowl whisk together oil, eggs, and vanilla; stir in apples. Add egg mixture to flour mixture; stir until combined (batter will be very stiff and doughlike). Spread batter mixture evenly in the prepared pan; if necessary, use your slightly moistened hands to pat batter into an even layer. The batter will be shallow in the pan.
- For the topping, in a medium bowl stir together the 2 tablespoons white whole wheat flour, the brown sugar, and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle crumb mixture over the batter in the baking pan.
- Bake about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Using the edges of the foil, lift the uncut bars out of the pan. Cut into bars.
From the Test Kitchen
*Test Kitchen Tip:
We do not recommend using sugar substitutes for this recipe.
Test Kitchen Tip
To easily remove bars from a pan, line the pan with aluminum foil.
Nutrition Facts (Cinnamon Streusel Fresh Apple Bars)
- Per serving:
- 123 kcal ,
- 3 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 29 mg chol. ,
- 105 mg sodium ,
- 22 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 14 g sugar ,
- 2 g pro.