Cinnamon-Spiced Almond Caramel Apples
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees . Line a 15 x 10 x1-inch baking pan with foil. In a medium bowl whisk egg white until frothy. Add almonds; stir to coat evenly. Sprinkle sugar, salt, cinnamon, and cayenne, if desired, over nuts; stir to coat evenly.
- Transfer nuts to prepared baking pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until toasted.
- Wash and dry apples; remove stems, if desired. Insert a wooden skewer or popsicle stick into the stem end of each apple. Place apples on a buttered baking sheet.
- In a small saucepan combine caramels and whipping cream. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until caramels are completely melted, stirring constantly. Working quickly, dip each apple into hot caramel mixture; turn to coat (If caramel become too thick to coat apples, reheat over low heat.) Dip coated apples in desired amount of nuts. Set on the buttered baking sheet and let stand until set. For best results, serve the same day*. Place remaining nut mixture in an airtight container. Store at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.
From the Test Kitchen
Place each apple in a bag; tie closed. Store in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts (Cinnamon-Spiced Almond Caramel Apples)
- Per serving:
- 446 kcal ,
- 18 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 5 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 9 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 10 mg chol. ,
- 184 mg sodium ,
- 69 g carb. ,
- 6 g fiber ,
- 55 g sugar ,
- 8 g pro.