Cinnamon Roll Twists
- In a large mixing bowl combine 1 1/2 cups of the flour and the yeast; set aside. In a medium saucepan heat and stir milk, potato, 1/3 cup butter, granulated sugar, and salt just until warm (120 degrees F to 130 degrees F) and butter almost melts; add to flour mixture along with the eggs. Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed for 30 seconds, scraping sides of bowl constantly. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately soft dough that is smooth and elastic (3 to 5 minutes total). Shape dough into a ball. Place in a lightly greased bowl; turn once to grease surface of dough. Cover; let rise in a warm place until double in size (45 to 60 minutes).
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Cover and let rest 10 minutes. Meanwhile, lightly grease two 9-inch round foil pans; set aside. For filling, in a small bowl stir together brown sugar, cherries, pecans, and cinnamon; set aside.
- Divide dough in half. Roll one half into a 20x9-inch rectangle. Spread 2 tablespoons of the softened butter over dough and sprinkle with half of the filling. Roll up rectangle, starting from a long side. Pinch dough to seal seams. Slice the roll in half lengthwise. Place halves side-by-side with cut sides up. Twist halves together. Shape into a ring; pinch and seal ends together. Place ring in one of the prepared pans. Coat the outside of a 6-ounce custard cup with nonstick spray. Place the cup, right side up, in the center of the ring. Repeat with remaining dough, butter, and filling. Cover and let rise in a warm place until nearly double in size (about 30 minutes).
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Remove custard cups from centers of rings. To give as gift, place a cup filled with Cream Cheese Icing in the center of the ring for spreading or for dipping pieces of twist.
From the Test Kitchen
For 1 cup mashed potato, prick a 10-ounce unpeeled potato all over with a fork. Microwave on 100% power (high) for 5 to 7 minutes or until tender. Halve potato and scoop pulp out of skin into a small bowl; discard skin. Mash the potato pulp with a potato masher or an electric mixer on low speed. Measure 1 cup of mashed potatoes.
Prepare as directed through Step 4, except do not let rise after shaping. Cover loosely with oiled waxed paper, then with plastic wrap. Chill for 2 to 24 hours. Before baking, let chilled twists stand, covered, for 30 minutes at room temperature. Uncover and bake as directed.
Cream Cheese Icing
- In a medium mixing bowl beat cream cheese, butter, and vanilla with an electric mixer on medium speed until combined. Gradually beat in powdered sugar until smooth. Beat in milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, to reach spreading consistency.
Nutrition Facts (Cinnamon Roll Twists)
- Per serving:
- 513 kcal ,
- 17 g fat
- (9 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 5 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 69 mg chol. ,
- 341 mg sodium ,
- 83 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 44 g sugar ,
- 8 g pro.