- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Lightly grease cookie sheets or line with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a small bowl stir coffee crystals into the hot water until dissolved; set aside.
- In a large bowl combine butter and shortening. Beat with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add brown sugar, the 3/4 cup granulated sugar, the 2 teaspoons cinnamon, baking powder, nutmeg, baking soda, salt, and cloves. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in eggs, vanilla, and coffee mixture until combined. Beat in flour until combined. Stir in coffee beans. Cover and chill for 1 to 2 hours or until dough is firm enough to shape.
- In a small bowl combine the 1/4 cup sugar and the 1 teaspoon cinnamon.
- For each cookie, roll 1 tablespoon of the dough into a ball. Roll balls in sugar mixture to coat. Place 2 inches apart on the prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake in the preheated oven about 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are set. Cool on cookie sheet for 2 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack; cool completely.
From the Test Kitchen
Place cookies in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Cinnamon Ice Cream Sandwiches:
Prepare and bake cookies as directed. Spread cinnamon ice cream on bottoms of half of the cookies, using 3 tablespoons ice cream for each cookie. Top with the remaining cookies, bottom sides down. Press together lightly. Wrap each sandwich cookie in plastic wrap. Freeze for at least 2 hours or until firm. Store in the freezer for up to 1 month. To serve, let stand at room temperature for 5 minutes. Makes about 18 sandwich cookies.
Nutrition per Serving: 292 calories, 3 g protein, 39 g carbohydrate, 14 g total fat (97 g sat. fat), 48 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 26 g total sugar, 7% Vitamin A, 0% Vitamin C, 150 mg sodium, 6% calcium, 6% iron
Ice Cream Pint Hack: For the ultimate ice cream sandwiches, buy a pint-size container of your favorite ice cream (vanilla is delish, but anything goes) and cut directly through the container cross-wise to make perfect ice cream slices. Sandwich the slice of ice cream between two cookies and peel off the container piece.
Nutrition Facts (Cinnamon-Coffee Cookies)
- Per serving:
- 111 kcal ,
- 5 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 2 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 16 mg chol. ,
- 52 mg sodium ,
- 15 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 10 g sugar ,
- 1 g pro.