Cinnamon and Raisin Flaky Biscuits
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, raisins, cinnamon, and cream of tartar. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture. Add milk all at once. Using a fork, stir just until mixture is moistened.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead dough by folding and gently pressing it just until dough holds together. Pat or lightly roll dough until 3/4 inch thick. Cut dough with a floured 2 1/2-inch biscuit cutter; reroll scraps as necessary and dip cutter into flour between cuts. Sprinkle cut biscuits with cinnamon-sugar
- Place dough circles 1 inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet. If desired, brush with additional milk. Bake for 10 to 14 minutes or until golden. Remove biscuits from baking sheet and serve warm.
From the Test Kitchen
If baking powder or cream of tartar appear lumpy, sift it through a fine-mesh sieve.
You can also roll dough into a circle and cut it into wedges or roll it into a rectangle and cut it into strips or squares.
Prepare as directed through Step 1, except increase the milk to 1 1/4 cups. Using a large spoon, drop dough into 12 mounds onto a greased baking sheet. Bake as directed. Makes 12 biscuits.
Prepare as directed, except for rolled-dough biscuits substitute 1 1/4 cups buttermilk or sour milk for the 1 cup milk. For drop biscuits substitute 1 1/2 cups buttermilk or sour milk for the 1 1/4 cups milk.
Nutrition Facts (Cinnamon and Raisin Flaky Biscuits)
- Per serving:
- 231 kcal ,
- 12 g fat
- (7 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 3 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 32 mg chol. ,
- 427 mg sodium ,
- 26 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 2 g sugar ,
- 4 g pro.