- In a large bowl combine 1 1/2 cups of the flour and the yeast; set aside. In a medium saucepan heat and stir milk, mashed potato, the 1/3 cup butter, the granulated sugar, and salt just until warm (120 degrees F to 130 degrees F) and butter almost melts; add to flour mixture along with the eggs. Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed for 30 seconds, scraping sides of bowl constantly. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately soft dough that is smooth and elastic (3 to 5 minutes total kneading time). Shape dough into a ball. Place in a lightly greased bowl; turn once to grease surface of dough. Cover; let rise in a warm place until double in size (45 to 60 minutes).
- Punch down dough. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, lightly grease a 13x9-inch baking dish or pan; set aside. For filling, in a small bowl stir together brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, and pepper; set aside.
- Roll dough into an 18x12-inch rectangle. Spread the 1/2 cup butter over dough rectangle. Sprinkle filling over butter-spread dough rectangle, leaving 1 inch unfilled along one of the long sides. Roll up filled rectangle into a spiral, starting from the long side with the filling. Pinch dough to seal seams.
- Cut dough spiral into 12 equal pieces. Arrange pieces, cut sides down, in the prepared baking dish. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and let stand in a warm place until nearly double in size (about 30 minutes).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown and done in center (200 degrees F). Cool in dish on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from dish, if desired. Drizzle or spread with Cinnamon Roll Icing. Serve warm.
From the Test Kitchen
Pomegranate-Dried Fruit Rolls:
Prepare Cinnamon Rolls as directed, except omit cinnamon, ginger, and black pepper, and reduce brown sugar to 1/2 cup. For filling, in a small saucepan bring 1 cup dark rum just to a simmer. Remove from heat and add 1/2 cup chopped dried tart red cherries and 1/2 cup chopped dried cranberries. Let stand, covered, 20 minutes; drain. Stir together the drained fruit, the brown sugar, 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds, and 2 teaspoons orange zest. For icing, substitute orange juice for milk and add 1 teaspoon orange zest.
Nutrition analysis per serving: 541 calories, 7 g protein, 92 g carbohydrate, 15 g total fat (9 g sat. fat), 67 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 54 g total sugar, 14% Vitamin A, 10% Vitamin C, 323 mg sodium, 5% calcium, 13% iron
Salted Lemon Rolls:
Prepare Cinnamon Rolls as directed, except omit cinnamon, ginger, black pepper, brown sugar, and the Cinnamon Roll Icing. For filling, in a small bowl stir together 2/3 cup granulated sugar and 2 teaspoons finely shredded lemon peel. Sprinkle the sugar mixture over buttered cinnamon roll dough and sprinkle 2/3 cup finely chopped preserved lemon evenly over sugar mixture. For icing, in a medium mixing bowl beat 4 ounces softened cream cheese, 2 tablespoons softened butter, and 1 teaspoon vanilla with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in 2 1/4 cups powdered sugar. Beat in 2 tablespoons honey. Spread over warm cinnamon rolls. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt.
Nutrition analysis per serving: 516 calories, 7 g protein, 80 g carbohydrate, 20 g total fat (12 g sat. fat), 82 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 44 g total sugar, 13% Vitamin A, 18% Vitamin C, 613 mg sodium, 6% calcium, 13% iron
Prepare Cinnamon Rolls as directed, except omit brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, and pepper. After spreading dough with butter, spread with 1/3 cup cherry preserves and sprinkle with 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries.
Nutrition analysis per serving: 473 calories, 7 g protein, 79 g carbohydrate, 15 g total fat (9 g sat. fat), 67 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 41 g total sugar, 10% Vitamin A, 6% Vitamin C, 325 mg sodium, 5% calcium, 12% iron
Cinnamon Roll Icing
- In a medium bowl stir together the powdered sugar, vanilla, and enough milk to reach a thick drizzling consistency.
Nutrition Facts (Christmas Rolls)
- Per serving:
- 522 kcal ,
- 15 g fat
- (9 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 4 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 67 mg chol. ,
- 327 mg sodium ,
- 92 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 54 g sugar ,
- 7 g pro.
This is the absolutely best Cinnamon Roll recipe. The potatoes make them so light and tender. And they stay fresh much longer than recipes without potatoes. So easy to make and rise overnight in the fridge for fresh in the morning eating. I use instant potato flakes to simplify the process even more. You can't miss with this recipe.