- For filling, in a large skillet cook chorizo over medium heat until browned, using a wooden spoon to break up meat as it cooks. Drain off fat. Add sweet peppers and onion to meat in skillet. Cook about 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; cook and stir for 1 minute more. Remove from heat. Stir in crushed croutons, green chile peppers, 1/2 cup of the cheese, and the 1/4 cup snipped cilantro. Set aside; let cool.
- Meanwhile, trim stems from artichokes so they sit flat; remove loose outer leaves. Cut about 1 inch off the top of each artichoke; snip off the sharp leaf tips. Brush cut edges with some of the lemon juice. Spread leaves apart, creating space for the filling. Using a spoon, scoop out and discard the chokes. Stuff filling into the center and between leaves. Place any remaining filling on top of artichokes.
- In a 6-quart oval slow cooker combine the water and the remaining lemon juice. Place artichokes, filling sides up, in cooker. Drizzle with oil.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 8 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 to 4 hours or until a leaf pulls out of the center easily.** Top with the remaining 1/4 cup cheese. Let stand for 5 minutes. If desired, drizzle with Mexican crema. Sprinkle with additional snipped cilantro and serve with Chipotle Dipping Sauce.
From the Test Kitchen
To crush croutons, place them in a resealable plastic bag; seal bag. Use a rolling pin to coarsely crush the croutons.
An artichoke is done when a leaf pulls out easily from near the center. Or check the doneness of the artichoke by inserting a toothpick in the bottom of the artichoke; it should go in easily.
Chipotle Dipping Sauce
- In a small bowl stir together mayonnaise, chile pepper, and salt.
From the Test Kitchen
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
Nutrition Facts (Chorizo-Stuffed Artichokes)
- Per serving:
- 449 kcal ,
- 24 g fat
- (9 g sat. fat ,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 11 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 47 mg chol. ,
- 941 mg sodium ,
- 40 g carb. ,
- 10 g fiber ,
- 7 g sugar ,
- 20 g pro.