- In a food processor combine sausage and garlic. Cover and process with on/off pulses until sausage is finely chopped. Add 1/2 cup chopped onion; cover and process with on/off pulses until onion is finely chopped. Transfer mixture to a large bowl. Add ground chicken, ground ancho pepper, and salt; mix gently until combined. Shape mixture into twelve 1/4-inch-thick patties. Cover and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl mash avocado with a fork. Stir in mayonnaise; set aside.
- Trim a thin slice off the top of each poblano pepper to remove stem.* Remove and discard seeds from inside peppers. For a charcoal or gas grill, place poblano peppers on the rack of a covered grill directly over medium heat. Grill about 20 minutes or until peppers are charred and very tender, turning occasionally. Remove from grill and wrap in foil. Let stand about 15 minutes or until cool enough to handle. Using a sharp knife, loosen edges of skins; gently pull off skins and discard. Cut peppers into strips.
- Divide poblano peppers and cheese among six of the chicken patties, being careful to arrange mixture in the center of each patty. Top with the remaining six patties, pressing edges to seal well.
- Place chicken patties on grill rack. Grill for 14 to 18 minutes or until done (165 degrees F), turning once halfway through grilling.
- To serve, spread cut sides of buns with avocado mixture. Fill buns with chicken burgers and, if desired, lettuce, tomato, and/or sliced onion.
From the Test Kitchen
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
Nutrition Facts (Chorizo-Chicken Burger)
- Per serving:
- 632 kcal ,
- 41 g fat
- (12 g sat. fat ,
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 14 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 144 mg chol. ,
- 1126 mg sodium ,
- 29 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 3 g sugar ,
- 36 g pro.