Peach Pie Pops
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Prepare Pastry for a Double-Crust Pie (if using). On a lightly floured surface, roll half of the dough at a time into a 12-inch circle (or unroll one refrigerated pie crust at a time). Cut dough with a 2-1/2-inch round or star-shape* cookie cutter; reroll scraps as necessary.
- Place pie filling in a medium bowl. Using kitchens scissors, snip fruit into small pieces. Stir in ginger and cinnamon.
- Spoon 1 slightly rounded teaspoon of the peach mixture onto the centers of half of the pastry cutouts. Brush edges with milk. Lay the tip of a lollipop stick on each filled cutout. Top with the remaining pastry cutouts; seal edges with a fork.
- Place pastry pops 2 inches apart on an ungreased large baking sheet. Brush with additional milk and sprinkle with coarse sugar. Bake in the preheated oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Using a spatula, transfer pastry pops to wire racks (do not pick up by sticks while hot); cool. Makes about 20 pops.
From the Test Kitchen
*Test Kitchen Tip:
If cutting stars, do not use a cutter with long thin points.
Prepare as directed, except omit the peach pie filing, crystallized ginger, and cinnamon. In a small bowl, combine 1/2 cup powdered sugar, 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, and 1/4 cup melted butter. Spoon 1 level teaspoon of the cocoa mixture onto the centers of half of the pastry cutouts. Continue as directed.
Pastry for a Double-Crust Pie
- In a bowl stir together flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until pieces are pea size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon cold water over part of the mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to side of bowl. Repeat using 1 tablespoon cold water at a time until all the dough is moistened (6 to 7 tablespoons total). Divide dough in half. Form each half into a ball. On a lightly floured surface, flatten 1 dough ball. Roll from center to edges into a 12-inch circle. To transfer pastry, wrap it around the rolling pin; unroll into a 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into pie plate, being careful not to stretch pastry. Fill as above. roll remaining dough into a circle about 12 inches in diameter. Continue as above.