- Let egg whites stand at room temperature in a large bowl for 30 minutes. Grease three 8 x 1-1/2-inch round baking pans. Line bottoms with waxed paper; grease paper.
- Place half of the hazelnuts in a blender container or food processor bowl. Cover and blend or process until very fine but not oily. Repeat with remaining nuts. Combine 2 cups of the ground hazelnuts and the flour in a medium bowl. Set aside. Reserve remaining ground hazelnuts for garnishing cake.
- Beat egg whites with an electric mixer on medium to high speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high speed about 8 minutes or until very stiff peaks form (tips stand straight) and sugar is almost dissolved. Fold hazelnut mixture into egg white mixture. Spread mixture evenly in the prepared pans.
- Bake in a 300 degree F oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until very lightly browned and just set when lightly touched. Cool cakes in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Carefully loosen sides of cakes from pans. Remove cakes from pans. Peel off waxed paper and cool cakes completely on racks.
- To assemble torte, place one cake on a large serving plate. Spread half of the Mocha Ganache on top to within 1/4 inch of edge. Chill in the freezer for 5 minutes. Spread 1/2 cup of Buttercream on top of Mocha Ganache. Top with second cake. Spread with remaining Mocha Ganache. Top with remaining cake. Spread remaining Buttercream on sides and top or torte.
- Press remaining ground hazelnuts gently into Buttercream on sides of torte. Lightly cover and refrigerate for 4 to 24 hours. Before serving, let stand at room temperature about 10 minutes. Garnish with stand-up designs and chocolate-dipped hazelnuts, if desired. Makes 20 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Melt chocolate with shortening. Spoon melted chocolate into a small heavy plastic bag; snip one corner off bag. Pipe melted chocolate in a design onto a baking sheet lined with waxed paper. Let stand until firm. Peel away waxed paper. Use at once or place a single layer on paper towels in a storage container. Cover; store at room temperature or chill.
- Combine sugar and water in a heavy saucepan. Bring to boiling. Remove from heat. Gradually stir about half of the sugar mixture into egg yolks. Return all egg yolk mixture to saucepan. Bring to a gently boil; reduce heat. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Add coffee liqueur. Stir in vanilla. Cool to room temperature. Beat unsalted butter in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer on high speed until fluffy. Add cooled sugar mixture, beating until combined. If necessary, chill until mixture is of spreading consistency.
- Combine chopped semisweet chocolate, whipping cream, unsalted butter, and instant espresso coffee powder in a medium saucepan. Heat and stir over low heat until chocolate is melted. Remove from heat. Place saucepan in a bowl of ice water. Using a rubber spatula, stir constantly for 6 to 8 minutes or until mixture thickens to spreading consistency.
Nutrition Facts (Marjolaine)
- Per serving:
- 369 kcal ,
- 29 g fat
- (13 g sat. fat ,
- 152 mg chol. ,
- 27 mg sodium ,
- 27 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 5 g pro.