Chocolate-Praline Cream Puffs
- For praline mixture, butter a baking sheet. In a medium skillet cook sugar over medium-high heat, shaking pan occasionally, until sugar begins to melt. Reduce heat to low and cook until sugar is golden brown, stirring occasionally. Add 2 tablespoons butter, vanilla, and cinnamon; stir to combine. Stir in pecans. (Sugar may resolidify.) Stir to remelt sugar and coat nuts evenly.
- Turn out mixture onto prepared baking sheet. Allow to cool. When cool, place in a plastic bag. Crush lightly with a rolling pin.
- Preheat oven to 400 degree F. In a medium saucepan combine the water, 1/2 cup butter, and salt. Bring to boiling. Add flour all at once, stirring vigorously. Cook and stir until mixture forms a ball. Remove from heat. Cool for 10 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well with a wooden spoon after each addition.
- Drop dough by heaping tablespoons 1-1/2 inches apart on an extra-large greased baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden. Remove and cool on a wire rack.
- To serve, cut tops off puffs; remove soft dough from inside and discard. Sprinkle some of the praline mixture into each cream puff. Fill each with a large scoop of ice cream. Replace tops. Pour Chocolate Fudge Sauce over each. Sprinkle with remaining praline mixture. Makes 12 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Bake the cream puffs and freeze them in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Prepare the Chocolate Fudge Sauce; cover and chill in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Reheat in a microwave oven on medium (50 percent power) or in a saucepan over low heat.
Chocolate Fudge Sauce
- Melt chocolate and butter in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly. Stir in sugar and unsweetened cocoa powder until combined. Stir in evaporated milk. Heat and stir until smooth and mixture starts to bubble around edges. Stir in vanilla. Makes 1-1/2 cups.
Nutrition Facts (Chocolate-Praline Cream Puffs)
- Per serving:
- 689 kcal ,
- 40 g fat
- (15 g sat. fat ,
- 123 mg chol. ,
- 442 mg sodium ,
- 75 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 12 g pro.