Chocolate Truffle Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and lightly flour two 9x1 1/2-inch round cake pans; set aside.
- In a very large mixing bowl stir together flour, the sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add milk, oil, and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add eggs; beat for 2 minutes more. Divide batter evenly between the prepared pans, smoothing tops with a rubber spatula.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near centers comes out clean. Cool cake layers in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Using a small metal spatula, loosen sides of each cake layer. Place a wire rack on top of one pan; place one hand on top of rack and other hand under pan and carefully invert pan with rack (use pot holders to protect your hands). Lift pan off cake layer. Repeat with the remaining cake layer. Cool cake layers on wire racks about 2 hours or until completely cool.
- Using a long serrated knife, cut each cake layer in half horizontally. Place one cake layer half on a serving platter, cut side up. Insert strips of waxed paper or parchment paper under the edges of the cake to keep the platter clean. Top the cut side of the cake layer half with one-third (about 1 cup) of the Chocolate Mascarpone Filling.
- Top with another cake layer half, cut side down; top with half of the remaining filling. Top with a third cake layer half, cut side up; top with the remaining filling. Top with the remaining cake layer half, cut side down; set aside.
- Prepare Chocolate Ganache; spoon over cake.* Using a small metal spatula, spread ganache over top and sides of cake. Let stand for 15 minutes. Carefully spoon up any ganache that dripped onto the waxed paper and spread over the top and sides of the cake. Let stand until set. Carefully remove the waxed paper strips from underneath the cake. If desired, top with Chocolate Curls.
From the Test Kitchen
Chocolate-Raspberry Truffle Cake:
Prepare Chocolate Truffle Cake as directed, except place 1/3 cup seedless raspberry jam in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave jam on 100% power (high) for 10 to 20 seconds or until melted, stirring every 10 seconds. Drizzle about 2 tablespoons of the jam evenly over each of the layers of Chocolate Mascarpone Filling.
Nutrition analysis per serving: 875 calories, 8 g protein, 126 g carbohydrate, 42 g total fat (19 g sat. fat), 91 mg cholesterol, 5 g fiber, 98 g sugar, 256 mg sodium.
If desired, you can place cake layers on a wire rack set over a waxed-paper-lined baking sheet to spread with ganache. When done, transfer cake to a serving platter using two wide pancake turners.
Chocolate Mascarpone Filling
- In a heavy small saucepan combine 3 ounces semisweet chocolate pieces and 1/4 cup whipping cream. Cook and stir over low heat until chocolate nearly melts. Remove from heat; stir until smooth. Cool for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl combine 1/2 cup mascarpone cheese, softened, and 1/4 cup butter, softened. Beat with an electric mixer on medium to high speed until smooth. Beat in 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Gradually add 4 cups powdered sugar, beating until well mixed. Beat in the cooled chocolate mixture. Chill about 30 minutes or until firm enough to pipe.
- In a medium saucepan bring 1 cup whipping cream just to boiling over medium-high heat. Remove from heat. Add 12 ounces semisweet chocolate pieces. Let stand for 5 minutes (do not stir). Stir until smooth. Cool for 15 minutes before using.
- In separate microwave-safe bowls melt each chocolate on 70% power for 1 minute until melted, stirring every 30 seconds.
- Using the back of a spoon, spread melted chocolates side-by-side in rows on a smooth, clean plastic cutting board, allowing chocolates to touch. Lift the cutting board from one side and tap the opposite side on a work surface until smooth and chocolate rows are about 1/8 inch thick. Chill for 10 to 15 minutes or until chocolate is set and firm to the touch (ie chocolate is firm when you cannot leave a fingerprint behind.)
- Let chocolate stand at room temperature for 5 to 10 minutes. Make curls by putting pressure on the backside of a 2-inch straight edge spatula and pushing the spatula forward to scrape up chocolate. Alternately, you can drag a cheese slicer over the chocolate toward your body. (If chocolate breaks up, continue to let it stand at room temp until you can create curls.)
- Transfer curls to a foil-lined baking sheet and chill until ready to use.
Nutrition Facts (Chocolate Truffle Cake)
- Per serving:
- 850 kcal ,
- 42 g fat
- (19 g sat. fat ,
- 9 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 10 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 91 mg chol. ,
- 253 mg sodium ,
- 120 g carb. ,
- 5 g fiber ,
- 94 g sugar ,
- 8 g pro.