Chocolate-Shortbread Blondies with Macaroon Topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 13x9x2-inch baking pan with heavy foil, extending the foil over edges of pan. Grease foil; set pan aside. For crust, in a medium bowl stir together 1-1/2 cups of the flour, the granulated sugar, and cocoa powder. Using a pastry blender, cut in 1 cup of the butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in chocolate pieces. Press mixture evenly onto the bottom of the prepared pan. Bake about 8 minutes or until set. Prepare Macaroon Topping; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan cook and stir brown sugar and the remaining 2/3 cup butter over medium heat until butter is melted and mixture is smooth. Cool slightly. Add eggs, one at a time, beating with a wooden spoon after each addition just until combined. Stir in vanilla. Stir in the remaining 2 cups flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Stir in cashews.
- Pour batter over crust, spreading evenly. Spoon Macaroon Topping over batter; carefully spread to edges of pan. Bake for 32 to 34 minutes or until topping is light brown. Cool in pan on a wire rack. If desired, drizzle with melted milk chocolate. Using the edges of the foil, lift uncut bars out of pan. Cut into bars.
From the Test Kitchen
Layer bars between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months. To serve, let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes if chilled. Thaw bars if frozen.
- In a medium bowl stir together sugar and flour. Stir in coconut, egg whites, and vanilla.
Nutrition Facts (Chocolate-Shortbread Blondies with Macaroon Topping)
- Per serving:
- 291 kcal ,
- 15 g fat
- (9 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 4 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 37 mg chol. ,
- 160 mg sodium ,
- 38 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 24 g sugar ,
- 4 g pro.