Chocolate Puffs with Mascarpone Cream
To make the puffs:
- Let eggs stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Position oven racks to divide oven into thirds; preheat to 425 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
- For cream puffs, in a medium bowl sift together the flour and cocoa powder. In a medium saucepan combine the water, milk, butter, sugar and salt; bring to a boiling over medium-high heat. Add flour and cocoa mixture all at once; lower the heat slightly. Using a wooden spoon or sturdy heatproof spatula, stir vigorously. The mixture will come together in a ball and there will be a film on the bottom of the pan, but do not stop stirring; give it another minute of energetic beating. Transfer the hot dough to a mixing bowl; let rest for 2 minutes.
- Using a whisk (or a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment), beat dough 1 minute. Add eggs, one at a time, beating very well after each. You'll have a smooth, shiny dough.
- Using a small cookie scoop or small spoon, place 8 mounds of dough on each of the prepared baking, leaving at least 1 inch of space between mounds.
- Transfer baking sheets to oven; immediately reduce heat to 375 degrees F. Bake for 25 to 27 minutes or until the puffs feel hollow and lift easily off the paper, rotating the baking sheets from top to bottom and front to back at the halfway point. Cool to room temperature before filling.
- For filling, in a medium bowl gently stir mascarpone with a spatula to loosen. Beating makes makes mascarpone turn grainy, so go easy. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl beat whipping cream until it just starts to thicken. Beat in sugar and rose syrup, if desired. Continue to whip until the cream holds medium peaks. Add a drop of red food coloring if desired, mix, then add additional drops of coloring. Continue to whip until the cream holds peaks that stand up nicely and just start to fold over at the top. Stir a spoonful of the cream into the mascarpone to lighten. Gently fold in the remaining cream.
- To assemble, cut cream puffs in half. Using a pastry bag fitted with a large round tip, pipe filling over one half; top with remaining half. To serve, drizzle with melted chocolate, if desired.
From the Test Kitchen
While you can make both the puffs and filling ahead of time, it's best to fill the puffs just before serving.
Store unfilled cream puffs in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, or freeze in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
Store filling in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Nutrition Facts (Chocolate Puffs with Mascarpone Cream)
- Per serving:
- 130 kcal ,
- 10 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 2 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 51 mg chol. ,
- 54 mg sodium ,
- 8 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 4 g sugar ,
- 2 g pro.