Chocolate Peppermint Sandwich Cookies
- In a 2-quart saucepan combine chocolate and butter. Heat and stir over low heat until smooth. Remove from heat. Let cool for 10 minutes. In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine sugars and eggs. Beat with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 2 to 3 minutes or until color lightens slightly. Beat in melted chocolate. Add flour mixture to chocolate mixture; heat until combined. Cover surface of cookie dough with plastic wrap. Let stand for 20 minutes (dough thickens as it stands).
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or foil. Drop dough by rounded teaspoons 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheets. Bake in the preheated oven about 9 minutes or just until tops are set. Let stand for 1 minute on cookie sheet. Transfer to a wire rack; let cool. Spoon Chocolate Drizzle over cookies. Sandwich cookies together with Extra Festive White Chocolate-Peppermint Frosting. Makes 30 sandwich cookies.
From the Test Kitchen
*Big Triple Chocolate Cookies:
Prepare as directed, except drop 3-tablespoon mounds of dough per cookie 3 inches apart onto cookie sheets. Bake for 13 minutes. Makes about 18 cookies.
- Combine semisweet chocolate pieces with shortening in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir until the chocolate melts and is smooth. Remove from heat. Place cooled cookies on a cookie sheet lined with parchment or waxed paper. Drizzle melted chocolates over tops. Place the entire cookie sheet in the freezer for 4 to 5 minutes or until chocolate is firm.
Extra Festive White Chocolate-Peppermint Frosting
- In a small saucepan heat and stir white chocolate over low heat until melted and smooth. Set aside until lukewarm. In a large mixing bowl combine the butter and half of the powdered sugar. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until combined. Beat in heavy cream on high speed for one minute after adding. Beat in the vanilla, peppermint extract, and the salt until combined. Beat in the remaining powdered sugar. Beat in the melted white chocolate until combined. Lastly, stir in the crushed candy canes.