Chocolate Peppermint Mousse Pie
- Grease a 9-inch springform pan with 1 tablespoon butter; set aside.
- In a food processor, pulse hazelnuts with granulated sugar until finely ground. Add flour, cocoa powder, softened butter, and salt. Continue to pulse until well blended. Press into bottom of pan. (Mixture may be crumbly; use hands to press into pan in an even layer.) Poke with fork.
- Bake in a 375 degree oven for 18 to 20 minutes. Cool completely.
- In a small saucepan, add cold water to pan. Sprinkle with gelatin and allow to bloom (absorb water) for 2 minutes. Heat saucepan on low and whisk gelatin water for several minutes until completely absorbed and dissolved. Remove from heat.
- In mixing bowl, beat chocolate hazelnut spread, cream cheese, and peppermint extract. Add gelatin to cream cheese mixture. Beat on medium high for 2 to 3 minutes, scraping down sides of bowl as necessary. Set aside.
- In a cold mixing bowl, beat heavy cream with sugar until soft peaks form. Fold in cream cheese mixture. Pour over cooled crust and refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight.
- To remove springform pan, use plastic knife and run along edges. Remove sides of pan.
- When ready to serve, sprinkle with powdered sugar and crushed candy canes.
Meg Irwin 1432 Days Ago
I may be missing it, but at what point is the peppermint extract added? Thanks!