Chocolate-Pecan Coffee Cake
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour a 10-inch fluted tube pan; set aside. In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add the sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Beat until well combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Alternately add flour and sour cream to butter mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined.
- Sprinkle half of the Coconut-Pecan Topping in the prepared pan. Spoon half of the cake batter in mounds over the coconut mixture. Carefully spread to an even layer. Sprinkle with remaining Coconut-Pecan Topping. Spoon on remaining cake batter and spread to an even layer.
- Bake for 55 to 65 minutes or until a long wooden skewer inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes. Invert cake and remove pan; serve warm.
From the Test Kitchen
Cinnamon-Nut Coffee Cake:
Prepare as directed, except omit chocolate pieces and coconut in the Coconut-Pecan Topping and increase pecans to 1 cup.
Per piece: 507 cal., 27 g total fat (13 g sat. fat, 0 g trans fat), 86 mg chol., 283 mg sodium, 63 mg carbo., 2 g fiber, 6 g pro.
Exchanges: 2 Starch, 2 Other Carbo. 5 Fat
- In a large bowl combine flour, brown sugar, and ground cinnamon. Using a pastry blender, cut in cold butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; stir in semisweet chocolate pieces, flaked coconut, and chopped pecans.
Nutrition Facts (Chocolate-Pecan Coffee Cake)
- Per serving:
- 550 kcal ,
- 28 g fat
- (16 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 8 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 86 mg chol. ,
- 297 mg sodium ,
- 71 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 43 g sugar ,
- 6 g pro.