- In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add 1 cup granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt. Beat until mixture is combined, scraping side of bowl occasionally. Beat in egg and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour.
- Divide dough in half. Stir melted chocolate into one dough portion. Stir chocolate-mint baking pieces and peppermint extract into remaining dough portion. Divide each dough portion in half. Cover dough and chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Roll each peppermint dough portion into a 9-1/2x6-inch rectangle on a piece of waxed paper.*** Roll each chocolate dough portion into a 9-1/2x6-inch rectangle on waxed paper. Invert one chocolate dough rectangle on top of one peppermint dough rectangle; remove top layer of waxed paper. Roll up dough. Discard waxed paper. Pinch dough edges to seal. Wrap dough roll in plastic wrap. Repeat to make a dough roll with remaining chocolate and peppermint dough rectangles. Chill dough rolls in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours or until very firm.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease cookie sheets; set aside. Unwrap dough rolls; reshape, if necessary. Cut dough rolls crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Place slices about 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheets. If desired, sprinkle with edible glitter.
- Bake for 6 to 8 minutes or until edges are firm and just starting to brown. Transfer cookies to wire racks and let cool.
From the Test Kitchen
To melt the semisweet chocolate, chop chocolate and place it in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on 50 percent power (medium) about 1 to 2 minutes or until chocolate is melted and smooth, stirring once.
If chocolate-mint candy pieces aren't available, use one 4.67-ounce package of individually wrapped layered chocolate-mint candies. Unwrap candies and finely chop.
To keep the waxed paper from sliding on the countertop while you roll out the cookie dough, lightly brush the countertop with shortening.
Place cookies in layers separated by pieces of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw cookies, if frozen, before serving.
Nutrition Facts (Chocolate-Mint Pinwheels)
- Per serving:
- 65 kcal ,
- 4 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 10 mg chol. ,
- 32 mg sodium ,
- 8 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 4 g sugar ,
- 1 g pro.