- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease cookie sheets; set aside. In a very large mixing bowl beat shortening and butter with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Add granulated sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally.
- Add eggs and vanilla. Beat until combined. Beat in as much of the flour and the cocoa powder as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour, the oats, semisweet chocolate pieces, white baking pieces, and nuts.
- Drop dough by rounded teaspoons 1 inch apart onto prepared cookie sheets. Bake for 8 or 9 minutes or until edges are set. Cool on cookie sheets for 1 minute. Transfer to wire racks; cool.
From the Test Kitchen
Giant Chocolate-Macadamia Cookies:
Prepare as directed through Step 2. Drop dough by 1/4 cupfuls 3 inches apart onto cookie sheets. Press into 3-inch circles. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until edges are just firm and centers appear set. Cool on cookie sheets for 1 minute. Transfer cookies to wire racks; cool. Makes 2 dozen cookies.
Layer cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Nutrition Facts (Chocolate-Macadamia Cookies )
- Per serving:
- 103 kcal ,
- 6 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 3 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 10 mg chol. ,
- 30 mg sodium ,
- 12 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 7 g sugar ,
- 1 g pro.