Chocolate Hugs and Kisses Cupcakes
- Allow butter and eggs to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, line sixteen 2 1/2-inch muffin cups with paper bake cups. In a medium bowl combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar; beat until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla until smooth. Beat in sour cream and the flour mixture.
- Spoon 2 slightly rounded tablespoons of the batter into each prepared muffin cup. Bake about 18 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched. Cool cupcakes in muffin cups on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove cupcakes from muffin cups. Cool completely on wire racks.
- Frost cupcakes with Chocolate Frosting or Cherry Frosting (you will have some frosting leftover). Top with Hugs and Kisses Cookies.
Hugs and Kisses Cookies
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Knead flour into cookie dough. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough until 1/4 inch thick. Brush lightly with water and sprinkle with coarse red sugar. Using 1 1/2-inch X- and O-shape cookie cutters, cut 16 cookies for cupcakes (cut remaining dough into desired shapes). Bake 1 1/2-inch cookies about 6 minutes or until edges are lightly browned (larger cookies will bake 7 to 8 minutes). Transfer to a wire rack. Cool completely.
- In a chilled large mixing bowl combine powdered sugar, sour cream, whipping cream, and cherry juice. Beat with the chilled beaters of an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 3 to 5 minutes or until fluffy.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare Cherry Frosting as directed, except substitute 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder for the maraschino cherry juice.
Nutrition Facts (Chocolate Hugs and Kisses Cupcakes)
- Per serving:
- 246 kcal ,
- 15 g fat
- (9 g sat. fat ,
- 88 mg chol. ,
- 125 mg sodium ,
- 28 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 21 g sugar ,
- 3 g pro.