Chocolate-Hazelnut Raspberry Shortcakes
- Place the butter and shortening in a small bowl, give a quick stir, cover and freeze for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside. In a large bowl stir together the flours, brown sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt, and soda. Add the butter mixture and use your fingers to rub the mixture into the flour until coarse and pebbly.
- In a 1-cup glass measure whisk together the 1/2 cup cream, egg yolk, chocolate-hazelnut spread, and vanilla. Add to flour mixture. Stir with a fork just until combined. Add melted chocolate; stir just until combined. Knead the dough until it is smooth, about 1 minute (the dough should hold its shape without falling apart). Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface. Roll dough until 1-inch thick. Use a 2 1/2-inch round cutter to cut 8 rounds, rerolling scraps.
- Transfer rounds to prepared baking sheet. Freeze for 15 minutes. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a medium bowl place half of the raspberries; mash with a fork. Stir in preserves and remaining fresh raspberries. Remove 2 tablespoons mixture for Raspberry Whipped Cream; set remaining mixture aside.
- In a small bowl whisk together the egg white and 1 tablespoon cream. Brush over tops of dough rounds and sprinkle with turbinado sugar. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Remove and cool on a wire rack.
- Serve shortcakes with Raspberry Whipped Cream and raspberry mixture.
From the Test Kitchen
Raspberry Whipped Cream:
In a large chilled bowl beat 1 1/2 cups whipping cream, 2 tablespoons powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon raspberry liqueur (Chambord) and 1 teaspoon vanilla with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form. Fold in reserved 2 tablespoons raspberry mixture or 1/4 cup raspberry puree.
Nutrition Facts (Chocolate-Hazelnut Raspberry Shortcakes)
- Per serving:
- 731 kcal ,
- 47 g fat
- (26 g sat. fat ,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 14 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 124 mg chol. ,
- 389 mg sodium ,
- 74 g carb. ,
- 5 g fiber ,
- 32 g sugar ,
- 9 g pro.