- Place yeast in a large bowl; set aside. In a large saucepan heat milk, butter, potato flakes, sugar, and salt until mixture is warm and butter is almost melted (110 degrees F to 115 degrees F). Gradually add warm milk mixture to yeast, stirring to dissolve yeast. Let stand for 10 to 15 minutes or until foamy.
- Add 1/2 cup of the flour to the yeast mixture. Beat with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 3 minutes. Stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can with a wooden spoon. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a smooth and elastic dough (about 6 minutes total). Shape dough into a ball. Place in a lightly greased large bowl, turning once to grease dough surface. Cover and let rise in a warm place until double in size (about 1 hour).
- Punch down dough. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan heat 2 to 3 inches of oil to 365 degrees F. Divide dough into 18 pieces. Flatten each piece into a 2 1/2-inch disk. Spoon 1 teaspoon chocolate-hazelnut spread* onto the center of each dough piece. Using your hands, pull dough around the chocolate hazelnut spread and shape into a ball; pinch the bottom to seal.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees F. Line a 15x10x1-inch baking pan with paper towels. Fry 4 to 6 balls at a time in the hot oil about 3 minutes or until golden brown, turning balls to brown evenly on all sides. Drain on paper towel-lined pan; place pan in oven to keep bombolini warm while frying remaining dough balls. To serve, sift powdered sugar and/or cocoa powder over bombolini.
From the Test Kitchen
*Test Kitchen Tip:
To make the chocolate-hazelnut spread easier to handle, freeze portions of the spread before using to fill bombolini. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Drop chocolate-hazelnut spread in 1 teaspoon portions onto the prepared baking sheet. Freeze for 45 minutes. Fill dough as directed with frozen balls of filling. (Filling will thaw quickly.)
Prepare dough and fill with chocolate-hazelnut spread as directed. Place uncooked balls on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Freeze until firm. Transfer to a resealable freezer bag. Seal and freeze for up to 1 month. When ready to use, let thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Deep-fry as directed.
Nutrition Facts (Chocolate-Hazelnut-Filled Bombolini)
- Per serving:
- 511 kcal ,
- 36 g fat
- (8 g sat. fat ,
- 16 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 6 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 17 mg chol. ,
- 171 mg sodium ,
- 40 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 14 g sugar ,
- 6 g pro.