Chocolate-Hazelnut Bacon Layer Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease two 8-inch round cake pans and dust with cocoa powder; set aside. In a large bowl stir together the next six ingredients (through salt). Whisk together eggs, water, buttermilk, and oil. Add egg mixture to flour mixture all at once; whisk until smooth. Stir in half of the bacon. Pour batter into pans (batter will be thin).
- Bake about 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool cake layers in pans for 10 minutes. Remove layers from pans; cool on wire racks.
- For filling, in a bowl combine chocolate-hazelnut spread, the remaining bacon, and the hazelnuts.
- Place one cake layer on a platter. Spread with filling. Add remaining cake layer. Spread top with Ganache, allowing it to drip down sides of cake. If desired, top with additional crumbled, cooked bacon and chopped toasted hazelnuts.
From the Test Kitchen
To make 3/4 cup sour milk, place 2 teaspoons lemon juice or vinegar in a glass measuring cup. Add enough milk to make 3/4 cup; stir. Let stand 5 minutes before using.
- In a small saucepan heat heavy cream just until simmering. Pour over chocolate pieces (do not stir). Let stand 5 minutes. Stir until smooth. Cool for 15 minutes or until desired consistency.
Nutrition Facts (Chocolate-Hazelnut Bacon Layer Cake)
- Per serving:
- 301 kcal ,
- 18 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat ,
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 5 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 39 mg chol. ,
- 262 mg sodium ,
- 34 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 24 g sugar ,
- 6 g pro.