Chocolate-Glazed Peppermint Cookies
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a small bowl combine flour and cocoa powder; set aside. In a large bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar, baking powder, and salt. Beat until combined, scraping bowl occasionally. Beat in egg and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much of the flour mixture as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour mixture.
- Divide dough in half. Shape each half into a 10-inch roll. Wrap each roll in plastic wrap or waxed paper. Chill rolls about 1 hour or until dough is firm enough to slice.
- Cut rolls into 1/4-inch slices. Place slices 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 6 to 8 minutes or until edges are firm. Transfer to wire racks; cool.
- Line cookie sheets with waxed paper; set aside. Dip each cookie into Chocolate-Peppermint Coating, turning to coat all sides of cookie. (Reheat coating as necessary.) Place cookies on prepared cookie sheets. Using a thin metal spatula, swirl coating on each cookie. Chill until coating is set.
From the Test Kitchen
Layer cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
- In a medium saucepan combine semisweet chocolate pieces, shortening, and peppermint extract. Cook and stir over low heat until chocolate melts.
Nutrition Facts (Chocolate-Glazed Peppermint Cookies)
- Per serving:
- 110 kcal ,
- 7 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 2 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 10 mg chol. ,
- 51 mg sodium ,
- 13 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 8 g sugar ,
- 1 g pro.