Chocolate-Drizzled Caramel-Hazelnut Bars
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place hazelnuts in a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Bake about 10 minutes or until toasted, stirring once. Place the warm nuts on a clean kitchen towel. Rub the nuts with the towel to remove the loose skin; discard skins. Set nuts aside.
- Line a 13x9x2-inch baking pan with heavy foil, extending foil over the edges of the pan. Lightly coat foil with cooking spray; set pan aside.
- In a food processor, combine flour, powdered sugar, and the 3/4 cup cold butter. Cover and pulse until mixture forms coarse crumbs. Press flour mixture firmly and evenly into the bottom and 3/4-inch up the sides of the prepared pan. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Transfer pan to a wire rack and let cool for 20 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan combine brown sugar, honey, the 2/3 cup butter, and the whipping cream. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture boils. Stir in toasted hazelnuts. Spoon nut mixture into the partially-baked crust. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until filling is golden and bubbly. Transfer pan to a wire rack; cool completely.
- Use foil to lift uncut bars out of pan. Place on a cutting board. Using a sharp knife, trim edges. Cut into bars.
- In a small saucepan combine chocolate pieces and shortening. Cook and stir over low heat until melted and smooth. Drizzle over bars; let stand until chocolate is set.
From the Test Kitchen
Layer bars between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to to 3 months.
Nutrition Facts (Chocolate-Drizzled Caramel-Hazelnut Bars)
- Per serving:
- 227 kcal ,
- 17 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 8 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 21 mg chol. ,
- 66 mg sodium ,
- 19 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 12 g sugar ,
- 3 g pro.