Chocolate-Covered Cherry Squares
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9x9x2-inch baking pan with foil, extending foil over the edges of the pan. Grease foil; set pan aside. In a small bowl combine dried cherries and amaretto. Let stand for 30 minutes. Drain cherries and discard liquid. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan heat and stir unsweetened chocolate and 1/2 cup butter over low heat until melted and smooth. Stir granulated sugar into the melted chocolate mixture. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating with a wooden spoon just until combined. Stir in vanilla. In a small bowl stir together flour, cocoa powder, and baking soda. Add flour mixture to chocolate mixture; stir just until combined. Stir in the miniature chocolate pieces and the soaked dried cherries. Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan.
- Bake for 25 to 28 minutes or until edges are set. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- In a medium mixing bowl beat 1/2 cup butter with an electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy. Beat in cherry juice until combined. Beat in powdered sugar until smooth. Spread evenly on cooled brownies.
- Carefully spread Chocolate Ganache evenly over powdered sugar layer. If desired, arrange cherries on the ganache in six rows of six. Chill until set. Use foil to lift uncut brownies out of pan. Place on cutting board. Cut into 1 1/2-inch squares.
From the Test Kitchen
Place brownies in a single layer in an airtight container; cover. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- In a small saucepan bring whipping cream just to boiling over medium-high heat. Remove from heat. Add chocolate (do not stir). Let stand for 5 minutes. Stir until smooth. Let stand at room temperature, stirring occasionally, about 4 to 5 minutes or until slightly thickened.
Nutrition Facts (Chocolate-Covered Cherry Squares)
- Per serving:
- 196 kcal ,
- 10 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 3 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 34 mg chol. ,
- 63 mg sodium ,
- 26 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 20 g sugar ,
- 2 g pro.