Recipes and Cooking One-Bowl Chocolate Cake 4.1 (56) 5 Reviews A sprinkling of powdered sugar is a quick topping for this simple single layer chocolate cake recipe. Feel free to fancy up your one-bowl chocolate cake with your favorite purchased frosting and serve with a scoop of ice cream. By BHG Test Kitchen BHG Test Kitchen The Better Homes & Gardens Test Kitchen has been in continuous operation for nearly 100 years, developing and testing practical, reliable recipes that readers can enjoy at home. The Test Kitchen team includes culinary specialists, food stylists, registered and licensed nutritionists, and other experts with Bachelor of Science degrees in food science, food and nutrition, or culinary arts. Together, the team tests more than 2,500 recipes, produces more than 2,500 food images, and creates more than 1,000 food videos each year in the state-of-the-art test kitchen. Learn about BHG's Editorial Process Published on August 15, 1996 Print Rate It Share Share Tweet Pin Email Photo: Andy Lyons Prep Time: 20 mins Cool Time: 1 hrs Bake Time: 30 mins Total Time: 1 hrs 50 mins Servings: 8 Jump to Nutrition Facts Ingredients 1 cup all-purpose flour 1 cup sugar ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder ½ teaspoon baking soda ¼ teaspoon baking powder ¼ teaspoon salt ¾ cup milk ¼ cup cooking oil 1 teaspoon vanilla 1 egg powdered sugar Directions Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and lightly flour a 9x1-1/2-inch round or 8x8x2-inch baking pan. In a large mixing bowl combine flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add milk, oil, and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until just combined. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add egg and beat 2 minutes more. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a wooden toothpick comes out clean. Cool cake on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove cake from pan. Cool thoroughly on a wire rack. To serve, sprinkle with powdered sugar and transfer to a serving plate. Makes 8 servings. Rate it Print Nutrition Facts (per serving) 454 Calories 20g Fat 66g Carbs 5g Protein Show Full Nutrition Label Hide Full Nutrition Label Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe 8 Calories 454 % Daily Value * Total Fat 20g 26% Saturated Fat 7g 35% Cholesterol 41mg 14% Sodium 230mg 10% Total Carbohydrate 66g 24% Protein 5g Calcium 101mg 8% Iron 2.2mg 12% *The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.