Double Fudge Cake
- Grease a 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat shortening with an electric mixer on medium speed about 30 seconds or until softened. Add 1 cup sugar and vanilla; beat until combined. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each. Alternately add flour mixture and water, beating on low to medium speed after each addition just until combined. Thoroughly wash beaters.
- In a large mixing bowl beat egg whites on medium to high speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Gradually add 3/4 cup sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Fold 2 cups of the cocoa batter into the egg white mixture to lighten. Gently fold cocoa-egg white mixture back into remaining batter until combined. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven about 40 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Frost with Fudge Frosting. Makes 12 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Bake cake; cool completely and freeze (without frosting) up to 1 month. Thaw and frost before serving.
- In a medium saucepan combine evaporated milk, sugar, and margarine or butter. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture is boiling; boil 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; add chocolate pieces, stirring until melted. Add corn syrup; stir until combined. Use immediately.
Nutrition Facts (Double Fudge Cake)
- Per serving:
- 471 kcal ,
- 19 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 57 mg chol. ,
- 389 mg sodium ,
- 72 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 7 g pro.