Recipes and Cooking Chocolaty Harvest Fruit-Topped Cake An abundance of fruit and spices are the highlight of this chocolate cake recipe. By BHG Test Kitchen BHG Test Kitchen The Better Homes & Gardens Test Kitchen has been in continuous operation for nearly 100 years, developing and testing practical, reliable recipes that readers can enjoy at home. The Test Kitchen team includes culinary specialists, food stylists, registered and licensed nutritionists, and other experts with Bachelor of Science degrees in food science, food and nutrition, or culinary arts. Together, the team tests more than 2,500 recipes, produces more than 2,500 food images, and creates more than 1,000 food videos each year in the state-of-the-art test kitchen. Learn about BHG's Editorial Process Updated on April 20, 2020 Print Rate It Share Share Tweet Pin Email Photo: Andy Lyons Prep Time: 30 mins Bake Time: 30 mins Cool Time: 10 mins Chill Time: 1 hrs Total Time: 30 mins Servings: 12 Jump to Nutrition Facts Ingredients 1 8 ounce carton dairy sour cream 1 cup water ⅔ cup canola oil 2 cup granulated sugar 2 eggs 1 teaspoon vanilla 2 teaspoon baking powder ½ teaspoon baking soda ½ teaspoon salt 2 cup all-purpose flour ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder ¾ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon ½ teaspoon ground allspice ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves 8 ounce semisweet chocolate, finely chopped 1 cup whipping cream 1 recipe Harvest Fruit ⅔ cup caramel-flavored ice cream topping (optional) Harvest Fruit 1 unpeeled pear 1 cooking apple 2 cup apple juice 1 cup sugar ⅓ cup dried cranberries Directions Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour two 9 x 1-1/2-inch round baking pans. In an extra-large bowl combine sour cream, water, oil, sugar, eggs, vanilla, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. With a large wire whisk, whisk until well combined. Add flour, cocoa powder, black pepper, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, and cloves; whisk vigorously until smooth. Divide batter between prepared pans. Bake 30 to 35 minutes until top springs back when lightly touched in center. Cool in pans on wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely. Finely chop chocolate. In saucepan over medium-high heat bring whipping cream to boiling. Remove from heat and stir in chocolate until smooth. Cool to room temperature; chill until a spreadable, about 1 hour. Meanwhile, prepare Harvest Fruit. To assemble, place one cake layer on a serving plate. Spread with 1/2 of chocolate cream mixture. Top with the second layer. Arrange fruit in a single layer on top of cake. Pour caramel over top of fruit, if desired. Serve immediately. (Cake does not store well after fruit is added.) Makes 12 servings. Harvest Fruit Thinly slice pear lengthwise and apple horizontally. In medium saucepan combine apple juice and sugar; bring to boiling over medium-high heat. Add sliced fruit and dried cranberries; return to boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 2 minutes. Remove from heat, let stand 5 minutes. Strain and discard liquid. Cool to room temperature. Rate it Print Nutrition Facts (per serving) 651 Calories 31g Fat 93g Carbs 5g Protein Show Full Nutrition Label Hide Full Nutrition Label Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe 12 Calories 651 % Daily Value * Total Fat 31g 40% Saturated Fat 12g 60% Cholesterol 71mg 24% Sodium 223mg 10% Total Carbohydrate 93g 34% Total Sugars 69g Protein 5g Vitamin C 1.8mg 9% Calcium 70.7mg 5% Iron 3.1mg 17% Potassium 331mg 7% Folate, total 48.4mcg Vitamin B-12 0.2mcg Vitamin B-6 0.1mg *The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.